Housing Grants For Disabled Veterans

VA provides grants to Service Members and Veterans with certain permanent and total service-connected disabilities to help purchase or construct an adapted home, or modify an existing home to accommodate a disability. Two grant programs exist: the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant and the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant.


The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for Veterans of any nation in the world, with roots that can be traced back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians.


The VA Home Loan Guaranty Program is the only provision of the original GI Bill that is still in force. To assist the Veteran between discharge and reemployment, the 1944 GI Bill also provided unemployment benefits of $20 per week, for a maximum of 52 weeks. It was a lesser amount than the unemployment benefits available to non-veterans.



Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant

SAH grants help Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities live independently in a barrier-free environment. SAH grants can be used in one of the following ways:


  • Construct a specially adapted home on land to be acquired
  • Build a home on land already owned if it is suitable for specially adapted housing
  • Remodel an existing home if it can be made suitable for specially adapted housing
  • Apply the grant against the unpaid principal mortgage balance of an adapted home already acquired without the assistance of a VA grant



What renovations qualify?

  • Bathrooms, kitchens, and bedrooms
  • Covered porches, ramps, and walkways
  • Garages, carports, and passageways
  • Doors, windows, and flooring materials
  • Security items
  • Concrete or asphalt walkways
  • Sliding doors, handrails, and grab bars


For a full list, contact sahinfomvbaco@va.gov



Who is eligible?

Veterans of Service Members, with a permanent and total service connected disability, who have experienced one or more of the following conditions


  • Loss of or loss of use of both arms and/or both legs
  • Blindness in both eyes or only light perception
  • Certain severe burns
  • Certain severe respiratory injuries


See more about the grant here http://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/infographics/pdfs/Special_Adaptive_Housing.pdf

Or read the PDF below






The SAH and SHA benefit amount is set by law, but may be adjusted upward annually based on a cost-of-construction index. The maximum dollar amount allowable for SAH grants in fiscal year 2017 is $77,307. The maximum dollar amount allowable for SHA grant in fiscal year 2017 is $15,462. No individual may use the grant benefit more than three times up to the maximum dollar amount allowable.


A temporary grant may be available to SAH/SHA eligible Veterans and Servicemembers who are or will be temporarily residing in a home owned by a family member. The maximum amount available to adapt a family member’s home for the SAH grant is $33,937 and for the SHA grant is $6,059.



How to apply?

Fill out and submit VA Form 26-4555 or call 1-800-827-1000 to have a claim form mailed to you.


  • Applying online via www.ebenefits.va.gov
  • Downloading VA Form 26-4555, Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant and mailing it to your nearest Regional Loan Center
  • Calling VA toll free at 1-800-827-1000 to have a claim form mailed to you
  • Visiting the nearest VA regional office. Find the office nearest you by visiting VA Regional Office Locations or calling VA toll-free at 1-800-827-1000




Contact information

US Department of Veteran Affairs

810 Vermont Avenue, NW

Washington DC 20420


Need more information or have questions? Contact a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) staff member via email at sahinfo.vbaco@va.gov or by phone at (877) 827-3702.


Read more about the grant here http://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/adaptedhousing.asp

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

About Free Tuition United States

I hope you found what you look for. If in case I need to update the information in the article, please let me know. If you need assignment help, you can send me an email to researchwrites at gmail dot com or send a text message to +63 998 561 4066 (Philippines). My rate is only US$10 per 300 words. Thank you.

View all posts by Free Tuition United States →

Leave a Reply