How To Determine Your Dependency Status On FAFSA Application?

How do you determine if you are dependent or independent on your Federal Student Aid application? The Department of Education uses a very rigid set of criteria for determining whether a student is Independent for financial aid consideration (which means that the custodial parents’ income and asset information is not considered in determining a student’s financial aid, and therefore not required on the FAFSA).


Regardless of how much support a student actually receives from his or her parents, he or she is still considered a DEPENDENT student for financial aid purposes unless at least one of the following criteria is met


  • For the 2015-16 school year, the student was born before January 1, 1992; or
  • the student is married; or
  • the student has a child or children who receive more than half their support from the student; or



  • the student has dependents (other than a child or spouse) who receive more than half their support from the student, and who also live with the student; or
  • the student is enrolled as a graduate or professional student (pursuing a master’s degree or doctoral degree); or
  • the student is a qualified veteran of the U.S. military, or currently serving on active duty in the U.S. armed forces for purposes other than training; or



  • the student is an orphan (both parents deceased) or ward of the court or in foster care at any time after turning age 13, or was a ward of the court until age 18; or
  • the student is/was in legal guardianship; or
  • the student is/was an emancipated minor; or



  • the student was an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or at risk of being homeless on or after July 1, 2014; or
  • the student has special and unusual extenuating circumstances that can be documented for his or her college financial aid administrators, who may then request a “dependency override” on the FAFSA application. (Note: Exceptions are granted very rarely and only in extreme cases.) Students should contact the financial aid office at the school they will be attending for additional information.



Read more here






Many students feel that they should be able to declare Independent status because they live on their own, file their own taxes, or receive no support from their parents. Unfortunately, the Department of Education is extremely strict with regard to determining dependency status.


If you are considered a Dependent student (do not meet the criteria listed above) and do not provide your parents’ information on your FAFSA, your application will be rejected. A dependent student should report his/her and the parents’ information.


If you are an independent student, you should report your own information, which includes your marital status and of your spouse’s information.


The federal student aid programs are based on the concept that it is primarily your and your family’s responsibility to pay for your education. And because a dependent student is assumed to have the support of parents, the parents’ information has to be assessed along with the student’s, in order to get a full picture of the family’s financial strength.



Which parent’s information should I report on the FAFSA?

If your legal parents are married to each other, or are not married to each other and live together, you should report information about both of them on your FAFSA. That would be your legal parents, who are your biological or adoptive parents, or your parents as determined by the state—for example, if the parent is listed on your birth certificate.


However, many situations are a little more complicated, you must understand that you cannot be considered independent of your parents just because they refuse to help you with this process. If their information is not provided, your application will be rejected.



What if I have no contact with my parents?

If you have no contact with your parents and don’t know where they live, or you’ve left home due to an abusive situation, fill out the FAFSA and then immediately get in touch with the financial aid office at the college or career school you plan to attend.


The financial aid staff will tell you what to do next. Learn more about how to fill out the FAFSA if you have special circumstances that prevent you from providing parent information.


Read more here





View the PDF and click on the arrow at the bottom of the PDF to be able to view the next page.


Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

About Free Tuition United States

I hope you found what you look for. If in case I need to update the information in the article, please let me know. If you need assignment help, you can send me an email to researchwrites at gmail dot com or send a text message to +63 998 561 4066 (Philippines). My rate is only US$10 per 300 words. Thank you.

View all posts by Free Tuition United States →

Leave a Reply